Since 2010, No Kid Hungry has been working in Louisiana, where our initial focus was on increasing access to nutrition programs for children in New Orleans in partnership with then-Mayor Mitch Landrieu. With the leadership of Governor John Bel Edwards and First Lady Donna Edwards, we have since expanded our efforts statewide. Our local staff collaborate with the Governor’s Office and the Children’s Cabinet to educate and engage school leaders, promote granting opportunities, and raise awareness about the positive impacts that school breakfast and afterschool and summer meal programs provide to kids in need.
No Child should Go Hungry in Louisiana
At No Kid Hungry, that’s our promise. If it sounds simple, that’s because it is.
That doesn’t mean ending childhood hunger is easy. We know what works, and we’ve made extraordinary progress for kids and families.
But the job isn’t done, and won’t be done until we’ve met that promise and every single child in America has the food they need to grow up healthy and strong.
The Problem: Kids in Louisiana are Hungry
There is no possible excuse for children to go hungry in this country. Yet it happens – every day, in every community.
More than 23% of children in Louisiana live in “food insecure” homes. That means that these households don’t have enough food for every family member to lead a healthy life.
We have the Solution
We have plenty of food in the United States. And we have child hunger relief programs that work. The problem is that not enough kids are able to access them. That’s a problem we know how to solve.
No Kid Hungry Louisiana works to ensure all children have access to the nutrition they need to grow and thrive.
Join Us and Make an Impact
We all have different strengths to share in the fight to ensure every child in Louisiana gets the food they need. Whatever your strength, there’s a way you can share it to help kids and create child hunger solutions.
Ways you can start making a difference today:
- Learn More. Explore ways you can ensure no child goes hungry in your community and learn how you can engage key decision-makers.
- Connect. Send us your success stories, ask us your most challenging questions, or drop us a line – we’d love to hear from you!
- Spread the Word. Help us spread the word about No Kid Hungry Louisiana by sharing news about grant opportunities, updated resources, and recent successes with decision-makers in your community.
- Speak Up for Kids. Hungry kids don’t have lobbyists. They’re counting on you instead. Write, call, and email to urge your elected officials to take a stand for children.
- Other Ways to Give. Join team No Kid Hungry by making a donation, starting a fundraising campaign, or attending an event!
Share Our Strength
No Kid Hungry is a national campaign run by Share Our Strength, a nonprofit working to solve problems of hunger and poverty in the United States and around the world. After 25 years of successfully investing in local nonprofits and helping find the best approaches to eradicating poverty and hunger, Share Our Strength launched No Kid Hungry in 2010.
As a child hunger organization, ending childhood hunger is our primary focus, though Share Our Strength continues to invest in and develop other campaigns.
Learn more about Share Our Strength and our other work at ShareOurStrength.org.