No Kid Hungry Virginia is proud to partner with the Virginia Department of Education and the Virginia Breakfast Club to celebrate the 2021 Breakfast Club Award winners! This first annual award was established to recognize schools achieving success in school breakfast meal quality. This year, we are extra grateful to these six awardees and all school divisions who have gone above and beyond to ensure the meals they serve are healthy, fresh, local, and delicious, even in the midst of a pandemic.
These winners stretch all across Virginia from Tidewater to the Blue Ridge Mountains! Join us in celebrating these winning schools:
- Read Mountain Middle School in Botetourt County Public Schools is sure to purchase produce for their school breakfasts from Roanoke Fruit and Produce, which sources from local farmers.
- St. Paul School in Carroll County Public Schools cafeteria staff uses student feedback to ensure they’re serving school breakfast that appeals to customer taste buds.
- Hopkins Road Elementary School in Chesterfield County Public Schools incorporates fresh, local produce into their breakfasts, such as apples from Crown Orchard Company in Covesville, VA.
- Sycamore Park Elementary School in Culpeper County Public Schools achieves high participation by serving students favorite meals like whole grain breakfast pizzas.
- Northside Middle School in Norfolk City Public Schools serves students multiple options for breakfast each day – even while school is 100% remote!
- Orange Elementary School in Orange County Public Schools cafeteria staff manages to deliver breakfasts to the classroom for in-person learners while also providing breakfasts for before-school child care centers.
In a congratulatory video distributed to winning schools, Dr. Sandy Curwood, Director of School Nutrition Programs at the Department of Education states: “School breakfast provides a healthy and energizing start to the day for students to focus on learning, to be physically active, and to promote positive nutrition habits.”
These cafeteria professionals and meal service staff have showed us the true meaning of resilience and determination, ensuring all students get the nutrition they need to be successful. Award winners received promotional items to help celebrate National School Breakfast Week including new aprons for staff and re-usable grab and go breakfast bags for students.
About No Kid Hungry
No child should go hungry in America. But millions don’t know where their next meal is coming from. No Kid Hungry is ending childhood hunger by helping launch and improve programs that give all kids the healthy food they need to thrive. This is a problem we know how to solve. No Kid Hungry is a campaign by Share Our Strength, an organization working to end hunger and poverty.